Curaçao’s Ministry of Public Health, Environment & Nature has drawn up its criteria and requirements for granting licenses for the use, sale, cultivation and possession of medicinal cannabis in Curaçao.
Some of the criteria
Among the criteria the Minister of Public Health, Environment & Nature uses to grant licenses is that it must be for purely scientific purposes or demonstrations, that it serves the interest of public or animal health and that the plants of the genus Cannabis are being grown for scientific research into the medical applications of hemp, hashish and hemp oil or for the production of medicines.
The evaluation process
And when the criteria are met, applicants for medicinal cannabis licensing are evaluated in a two-tier process: a basic screening of the application (screening of individuals involved, business model and planning and financial due diligence and other feasibility matters) and
additional permits and licenses screening (e.g. Building and Construction permits, Nuisance License, Medicine Wholesale permit, etc.).
Submit the following documents
They must also submit the following documents together with the completed application form from the Office of Medicinal Cannabis Curaçao:
● A recent and original Chamber of Commerce excerpt;
● A certified copy of Shareholder’s register or original excerpt shareholder register executed by the Managing Director;
● Valid identification document of the Ultimate Beneficial Owner(s), directors, authorized signatories and shareholders;
● A Proof of Good Conduct (Bewijs van Goed Gedrag) from the government of Curaçao for each executive position within the company;
● A business license from the Ministry of Economic Development of Curaçao permitting the corporation to act on the island;
● A director’s license for each managing director (the law does not limit the number of managing directors); in addition, managing directors need a residence and a working permit to work in Curaçao. This requirement applies to all expatriates. Expatriates with a Dutch passport do not need a working permit;
● A declaration from the Tax Inspection of Curaçao proving that applicant does not have a significant tax liability;
● A certified copy of a proof of fund.
Take note of the following
Be aware that a license for cultivation will require a separate license for processing, selling (unless solely applied for scientific research), delivery, possession and usage of the cultivation site assigned. Furthermore, a license for manufacturing will also require a separate license for selling, delivery, possession and usage of the cultivation site assigned. And in closing, a license for selling will require a separate license for delivery and possession.